Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My Favorite Hobby

Way back in the day, before I met Danceman and made the little dudes, my girlfriend and I had this crazy impulse to learn how to ballroom dance. If you know me, you know how odd that choice really was. I preferred lifting weights for exercise, or hopping into the ocean for a short half-mile around the cove, or riding my bike up to the top of a mountain and back, or saddling up a big old horse and jumping over fences.

I certainly did not put on strappy heals, or fringy dresses, or make-up. Not even for boys did I do that. Why on earth would I do that for sport? It makes no sense. No sense at all.

But that’s exactly what we did, us crazy girls. As if we weren’t already tall enough, we put on our dance shoes


and learned to cha-cha, waltz, west coast swing. I fell in love with dance, and boy, did we have fun.


If you haven’t put 2 + 2 yet, I should say that I met Danceman soon after. Then the fun really began. We danced everywhere: tiny bars, piano bars, giant ballrooms, cruise ships, we traveled to Las Vegas to dance in front of judges. If I’d had my way, we would have boogied down in grocery store isles and in the lobby of Nordstrom where the guy plays the piano. Life was good.

Don’t get me wrong, life is still good. I love our kids… blah blah blah. But I do miss dancing. To feel better about my long-lost love, I’ve been taking a basic class at one of our old friend’s new studio.

Ahhh. Feels better already.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is exactly the way I feel about belly dance. Yea for you! (And to the horror of my children, I frequently boogie down in the grocery store aisle.) :)

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I would love to take a ballroom dance class, but I don't have a partner. My husband's only real flaw is that he does not dance. This is hard on the woman who started taking dance classes as an itty-bitty little girl, and even performed with a dance troupe while in college. I haven't done much ballroom, aside from the "social dance" segments of a couple PE classes back in the stone age. But I have been watching Dancing With the Stars and am really wanting to learn how to move like they do.

Good for you for getting back into it!

Leah said...

:) I am going to add you to my blogroll so I will definitely be stopping by. Also I did receive it. I thought I posted to you or came to your blog and told. I apologize for being rude. I could have sworn I did but my memory isn't that great lol

~Alissa said...

Jane, I'm certainly not hiring a babysitter every time I want to shake my booty. I've been going to classes alone for years. All social dance studios have parties or open dance times when students can dance with each other, so you can put into practice all you have learned. I say Go For It!!

Leah, no worries! You might have posted and I didn't see it. My memory is like a leaky bucket these days...