Thursday, June 25, 2009

Si, Se Puede!

Here in California we celebrate Cesar Chavez Day in March when his birthday rolls around. As a bureaucrat, I get the day off, which really makes me love Cesar even more. So why I am I writing this in June? Because I am a procrastinator. Haven’t you figured that out yet?!? Because inspiration does not always hit me square on the head in a timely manner.

Anyway, Cesar Chavez grew up in the southwest as a child of migrant workers. After eighth grade he became one himself. In 1962 he formed the National Farm Workers Association and began a life-long fight for farm workers’ rights. Please head over to http://www.chavezfoundation.org/ to learn more about his life and achievements.

On the last Cesar Chavez Day I was out enjoying a sunny day to myself, riding the Ciocc from my house all the way to the beach and back. As I pedaled past this mural I immediately thought about how many people are involved in food production/distribution.


Creating the Feast
by John Jay Whalen with Jeanne Whalen and Christina Thurston

Now that summer is upon us and juicy fruits fill the farmer’s markets, it is as good a time as any for me to think of the hands that pick the food and be thankful for their work. Especially the oddly happy ones wielding carving knives!

No comments: